Do you really need to secure your WordPress Blogs?
Funny question, ain’t it?
At least I thought otherwise and hence never bothered to secure my blogs. I felt that my blogs were invincible and that nothing could happen to them.
I was mistaken. Terribly mistaken….!
For those of you who are regular visitors to my blog, you would have noticed that my blog was down for almost 3-5 days. And when it came back online, there were a few articles that were missing.
This was the status with my other blogs. A few were even worse. There were entire articles that were gone and my blogs went back almost a year back in time.
It was a simple server hack that happened to the hosting servers where I was hosting my blog. My hosting company could not recover from the hack and came back to me showing their helplessness at restoring the data back. All that they needed were a few words to explain their helplessness, but what I lost was my efforts of a lifetime.
But, was it really their fault? No it wasn’t. It indeed was my fault. I never backed up my blogs or, their data. Consequently I lost everything that I had built over a period of 3-4 years.
WordPress Backup :-
How can you backup your wordpress blogs? All it requires is understanding the capability of the WordPress blogging platform. The enhancements that WordPress offers, in itself is sufficient for creating a backup of your blog. When I say, enhancements, what I mean is “Plugins”.
Let take a look at these few plugins that can help your backup your blogs:-
- WP-DB-Backup – This is by far the best and easiest of backup plugins that I have used till now. It helps you back the primary tables in your blog database and also provides you an option to choose the other tables that you want to backup. It also provides you an option to automatically email a copy of the backup to a preferred email of your choice.
- WordPress Automatic Online Backup - Another very useful plugin. This plugin offers you the facility to create a free account with wordpressbackup.com, and let’s you store your wordpress blog’s backups at their servers. The setup is a bit difficult, otherwise the plugin is extremely good and feature rich.
- Secure WordPress – This is not a backup tool. Still it is very important to secure your wordpress installations. Of the rest everything that it does it also removes error information on login page; adds index.html to plugin directory and removes the wp-version.
- WordPress Backup – This is a plugin by the Blog Traffic Exchange team. Once again the installation is a bit difficult though it is not rocket science, but the plugin is extremely useful in creating a backup of your themes folder, plugins folder and your database.
- DBC Backup – This plugin is similar to the one above, but it works on cron jobs. You need to have the basic knowledge about working with hosting servers to install this plugin. But once installed, this can come in very handy.
Use one or, all of these plugins as per your requirement and protect your blog. A slight carelessness from you could cost you, about a couple of years’ efforts.
In addition to all this, always ensure that you upgrade your WordPress installation to the latest version in order to keep it secure.
Don’t forget to comment on which of these plugins you like the most and which is the one that you have installed in your blog.
Photograph courtesy Carl Silver
Read about internet entrepreneurship at my blog.
Latest posts by Dilip Kumar (see all)
- Google Penalizes Private Blog Networks – What Next? - September 25, 2014
- How to Configure Google Plus Interactive Posts in your Blogs? - September 23, 2014
- How does the Facebook Newsfeed Algorithm change 2014 affect your account? - September 22, 2014