In recent times, company marketers are trying to make the most of limited resources and marketing budgets to increase performance. This has resulted in shifting the focus to digital marketing tactics like SEO and social-media from traditional ones. The combination of both these tactics can benefit you in the form of increased social network discovery via search and attracting relevant links for improved SEO.
Combining social-media tactics with SEO insights can be helpful if you have a blue-print that identifies the target audience, measurable goals, and a strategy that sets the stage for you to execute your game plan. This article will attempt to show you how social media and SEO go hand-in-hand in marketing as well as showing you a road-map for its effective use.
Advantages of SEO and social-media
The advantages of social-media and SEO can be seen in two different ways from a marketing perspective.
Firstly, implementing a social-media marketing tactic without optimizing content would be a sheer wastage of the tactic. Relevant social content that can’t be located through searches is a wasted opportunity for an audience that would be looking for it. A content optimization effort would lead to generous amounts of cross linking in a post. However, a basic blog template optimization through keyword leveraging and other minor adjustments would increase traffic to your site substantially.
Secondly, social network interactions and media sharing (like profiles, videos, blog posts etc.) amongst social media users lead to creating web content that improves a brand’s visibility within search results.
Social-media and SEO sync strategy
SEO and social-media work well together as long as you have the proper strategy of implementation. The following steps will give you an overview about how the combination can help you-
- Targeting the audience – It is important to understand the consumer’s behavior, preferences and methods of publishing, and sharing opinions. You need to be on the social-network channels where your audience spends time. To stay ahead of the game, you need to track your audience via social-media monitoring software that tracks keywords, conversations and influencers.
- Defining objectives – SEO is directly responsible for improving web traffic while social-media can’t really be classified as direct-marketing. SEO in a social-media awareness effort is to increase discoverability of communities or content via search. Social content can boost web traffic and sales in an indirect manner.
- Establishing a game plan – In a combined SEO and social-media strategy, focus will mostly be on content and interaction. This is because the people look for and share content amongst them. In a key-word optimization strategy, whether generating relevant content or encouraging consumer generated content; pro-active and easy sharing amongst members of community is a must.
- Creating tactical mix – This involves knowing where the potential audience spends most of it’s time sharing and interacting. It’s not just about creating a links-glossary for optimized link-baiting; it’s about investing time to create ‘relationships’ with the consumers.
- Measuring goals – This should roll up to specific objectives, both direct and indirect. Using social media monitoring services along with web analytics will give you an insight to improve results. You can use specific web tools to monitor the effects of social-media participation and search engine performance of SEO efforts.
About the Author:
Penny Cooper is a writer by profession and likes to blog about her varied interests which include social media, SEO and technology trends. She works as a SEO copywriterfor Godot Media which provides copywriting service.