What is the keyword that has given your blog the highest hits so far?
At first when I started blogging, my objective was to read as much material as possible, learn from them, set up my blog and start monetizing them.
After only the first week of setting up my blog, I saw visitors coming in, spending some time at my blog, reading my posts and giving me a few hits on my adsense links. My Google Adsense account showed a few hits and a few cents. I was very happy to see them, and I decided that I should do more with my blogs so that I can make more money online. I put in more efforts and waited to see more money dropping in. But, nothing of that sort happened. I kept wondering as to what went wrong and where. It took me almost 3 months to understand where I went wrong.
My problem was that I was not tracking my statistics.
How important is it to track your statistics?
It is a commonly observed behavior in every new internet marketer, that they do not track their statistics. It is more of ignorance and lack of skill, than the willingness to do it. If you know somebody who is not tracking their website statistics because they are not willing to, then there is nothing you can do to help him, because he is sure to fail in his online business, whichever the form is – blog, affiliate marketing, websites etc.
If your objective is long-term, then tracking the statistics of your website or, blog is extremely important to understand things like –
- Visitors – Who were the visitors who came to your website, from where did they come, what is it that they came looking for?
- Referrers – Which were the websites that referred your visitors?
- Keywords – What keywords did your visitors type in the search engines to come to your website?
- Conversions – Which links in your website is converting well? What products that you are selling are the best-sellers?
There is a load of information that you can gather if you are tracking your website statistics. Each of these information is valuable and you can use it for various purposes like improving the performance of your websites and making more money from them.
Tools to monitor website statistics -
You financial situation will determine the kind of tool that you would want to use on your website to monitor its statistics. There are a variety of tools available on the internet, from free to paid tools to monitor statistics. Each of these tools have a unique feature of theirs and that is what keeps each of them unique and distinct. But the more common and important ones can be found in all of these tools. Hence it is irrespective of what tool your are choosing, if your purpose of tracking the basic statistics is solved.
Let’s see a few such tools that can track web statistics –
- Performancing Metrics – Performancing is a paid-service. So be absolutely sure before your decide to go in for it. They also offer a free service which is also available. You can start using it and upgrade it once you feel that you are ready for the the upgrade. You can check out Performancing Metrics by clicking here.
- Crazyegg – This is a monitoring tool that shows you the statistics of your website or, blog by showing heat maps. The areas on your website or, blog which get the most clicks is shown as the hottest spot. The heat keeps decreasing as the number of clicks keep reducing. Crazyegg is a paid website and has a few different plans, all of which are affordable. You can check their plans here.
Whichever form of tracking you do for your website, you just need to map it with your objectives. If your objective is monetization, then you should use a tracking tool that give you the information about the clicks on your website. If your objective is traffic optimization, you should use a tool that can give you the information about keywords and referring site etc.
Don’t forget to comment upon the tracking tool that you are using and how useful do you find it.
Read about internet entrepreneurship at my blog.
Latest posts by Dilip Kumar (see all)
- February Blogging Report – Preparing for a Product Launch! - February 28, 2015
- How to Run a Successful Giveaway Campaign on Facebook? - February 11, 2015
- The Most Complete and Practical Social Media Checklist – Infographic - January 30, 2015