Answering this question would be a repetition of what you might have by now read in a couple hundred thousand blogs by now (I know you couldn’t read that many blogs).
But my answer is going to be a bit different than the ones you have read. After all I am teaching you how to make money – the novice way, right?
Let me first of all repeat what you would have read in other such blogs. The best topics to blog on can be decided after considering the following 2 important points –
- Interests and hobbies – What is it that you write a lot about? Obviously it is something that interests you. It could be things that you excel at, your hobbies, tips and how-to-do-things that you are good at etc. etc. Is it really something that you can write about? Yes it is. But bear in mind all that is there in your mind about your hobbies and interests would not be enough material to blog about. We will discuss this in detail a bit later.
- Find a niche that interests you – There are hundreds of thousands of topics and issues that people search the internet for answers. Pick any one such topic which you think you can write about and start blogging. Such a topic will be called a “Niche”. But how will you find that topic or, issue? We will discuss this also in detail in a short while.
When you are a starter to blogging, I would not mind about what is it that I am writing. My objective would be to write. My strategy and plans would be different from all of those blogging gurus out there. But this is what has worked for me and should work for anyone who is ready to put in that efforts.
- Start writing on anything that you feel like writing on. Post about 4-5 posts so that you get acquainted with writing and editing.
- Once you are at the 5th post, you are ready for some research. This is when you actually need to decide on what is it that you are going to write on.
- Jot down 10 things that interest you in a plain paper. This is one of the most difficult things to do for me. The best approach to do this is follow the “method of elimination”. Write down all that interests you. Pick each topic and see if you can speak on it for about 3-4 minutes. Eliminate everything that poses difficulty for you to speak upon. Keep a list of the final ten.
- I have seen a lot of people recommend niche research software and tools to people who are just into blogging and has not even got a hang of it. This is not advisable. This is where I admire people like John Chow and Darren Rowse who only recommends things that are practical and provide excellent tips to newbie bloggers. At this point you should go ahead and research a bit on the topics that you are interested in writing about.
Researching a topic:-
This is where I was stuck for more than 3 months. The biggest mistake that people do at this point is to get into too much of research and follow the advices from one too many people. The end-result is nothing and you would end up de-motivated and dead. This is where most of the bloggers quit blogging. So avoid over-research.
All that you need to research a topic that you want to blog about is access to Google Insights and there is no access restriction to it. We would be discussing this in detail in my next blog.
Read about internet entrepreneurship at my blog.