Automattic – the creators of WordPress released their thirteenth major release code named as “Thelonious” and otherwise called as WordPress 3.0.
It is indeed worth the upgrade and the options of upgrading should already be available in your blog admin pages. So what is new in WordPress 3.0. Let’s take a quick look at it –
- New Default Theme (Twenty Ten): One of the most refreshing changes is that Kubrick is gone and there is a new default theme called as the Twenty Ten theme. This is to go with the new theme APIs. Twenty Ten is a more modern and flexible theme that takes advantage of a lot of the new features.
- A Newer and Lighter Admin Interface: WordPress 3.0 comes with a new administration interface. The new interface has contextual help on every page and has a light feel to it.
- WordPress MU Merger: WordPress MU has now been designed into the wordpress administration in WordPress 3.0. This will let users create multiple blogs from a single installation.
- WordPress URL shortener: URL shortening can now be done from within your blog as WordPress 3.0 has integrated support for URL shorteners including their own wp.me.
- Choice of Admin name: You can now choose an admin name when you install a new blog and will not have to rely on the default “admin” username any more.
There are many other important updates in the new WordPress. You can watch the below video to learn more.
One of the major bugs that I found after upgrading to the new version was with the plugin “DB Cache Reloaded”. WordPress now has integrated a few new plugins which are probably conflicting with DB cache and producing the below error –
“Call to undefined method wpdb::get_blog_prefix() in /home/xxxx/xxxx/xxxxx.com/public_html/wp-includes/user.php on line XXX“
The easiest resolution to this error is to deactivate the “DB Cache Reloaded” plugin.
In conclusion I should say that WordPress 3.0 will change the way people blog. It is a welcome change – the admin interface and the contextual help and everything else. Upgrade and enjoy.
Read about internet entrepreneurship at my blog.
Latest posts by Dilip Kumar (see all)
- Why Depending Upon SEO Could Make a Dinosaur Out of Your Website? - September 1, 2015
- DKSP EP15: How to Successfully Build a Profitable SOLO Ad Business – Part 2 - August 28, 2015
- Social Media Sundays Ep:5 – How to Use Twitter Lists to Find Targeted Followers in Any Niche - August 24, 2015