WordPress is one of the most popular blogging platforms used all over the world. Millions of people started using WordPress for their blog to publish their content. Since it is popular, hackers are keen on breaking the WordPress websites.
You have to take a few steps in order to protect your website from hackers. In order to do so, you can take few steps like keeping your themes and plugins up to date, using strong username and password, using a secured WordPress hosting, using best WordPress security plugins and keep regular backups of your website.
In this case, using the best WordPress security plugins can be a right choice to protect your website, since it comes in handy, saves your time, and protects your website effectively.
List of 6 best WordPress Security Plugins
This post is a list of the 6 best WordPress security plugins, protect your website from hackers. These security plugins offer several features and guard your site against vulnerabilities.
iThemes security plugin is one of the most attractive plugins to protect your website. This plugin comes with 30 offerings to prevent unwanted spams and hacks. It is capable of identifying the vulnerable plugins, unwanted software, and weak usernames and passwords.
iThemes plugin will scan the entire website to check any malware is available. It is also able to prevent the brute force attack and has the capability to block the IP address which tries to brute force. iThemes plugin integrates with Google reCAPTCHA in order to prevent comment spam for your website.
One important feature in this plugin is that you can set an option called away mode for your website and in this case, it makes inaccessible to your WordPress dashboard.
Basic features are free. If you want additional features, then you can try for iThemes security pro version.
- It can blacklist the IP address of attackers.
- Continuously monitors to check any unwanted activities that have taken place.
- It limits the number of login attempts.
- This plugin is compatible with multi-sites and single site installations.
- It enforces you to give strong passwords for all the account users.
- This plugin is able to detect 404 errors which are hidden in your website.
- This plugin forces to have SSL for any pages or posts.
- iTheme Security plugin gives you a notification if any of the users locked out trying on a number of login attempts.
- It strengthens the server security and blocks the problematic user agents, bots, and even the hosts.
All in One WP Security & Firewall
All in One WP Security & Firewall is also one of the most popular WordPress security plugins widely used by WordPress users. This plugin has a user-friendly interface for people who are not aware of the advanced settings.
With the help of this plugin, you can protect websites from vulnerabilities, and implement the latest techniques and security measures. This plugin guards your website against brute force attack and notifies you if someone is trying to brute force. It also detects if any user uses a weak password and then insists on him to use a stronger password.
All in One WP Security & Firewall has inbuilt security scanner, that helps you to keep track and give you a notification if any changes are found in files. It has a has a firewall that helps to detect the malicious code on your WordPress website.
The firewall in this plugin also helps to block the malicious bots and fake Googlebots from damaging your website. The firewall rules of this plugin have categorized into “Basic”, “Intermediate” and “Advanced”.
- This plugin helps you to monitor user accounts and blocks brute force attacks.
- This plugin has the ability to track username, IP address, login date/time and logout date/time.
- It is inbuilt with strong password tool, so that, it helps the visitors and website owners to create a strong password.
- It gives security solutions, such as database security, File system security, user security, Firewall setup etc.
- This plugin gives you a regular update in order to prevent any loophole in the plugin.
- This plugin has a unique feature called stop user enumeration. That means the bots may not be able to identify the user’s information via author permalink.
- All In One will force out all the inactive users to log out after a certain period of time.
- It has to ability to list all the users who are currently logged into your website.
- This plugin adds a CAPTCHA for the login form, user registration page, and forget password form.
- This plugin will add a Honeypot or CAPTCHA to the user’s registration page, in order to reduce the registration by bots.
- Just with a single click, you will be able to schedule automatic backups, email notifications, database backup etc.
- One notable feature is that this plugin prevents people to access readme.html, license.txt, and wp-config-sample.php files of your website.
- It has the ability to remove the WordPress version from your website.
- It can also temporarily lock the front end users of your website, in case if your website is under maintenance, site updates etc.
WordFence is the most popular widely used security plugins which are packed with firewall and built-in malware scanner. This plugin keeps track of checking your website for malware intrusion. This plugin scans throughout your website, right from the WordPress core files, themes, and plugins.
WordFence plugin has a feature called Falcon caching engine, this feature makes your website load faster. It sends you an email notification if any of the spam is found on your website. This plugin prevents brute force attack and even a number of login attempts. It even locks out the user who enters a wrong username and password and it enables a two-factor authentication for better security.
One important feature of this plugin is monitoring live traffic by looking after activities like Google crawl, human visitors, bots, login/logout and much more. This plugin comes with both free and premium version.
- The firewall in this plugin helps for manual blocking, brute force protection, country blocking, real-time threat defense etc.
- With the help of this plugin, you can even secure multiple sites.
- It has advanced login security measures and gives you automatic alerts.
- It has to ability to block fake Google bots and malicious bots.
- If there is any suspicious activity found, it automatically blocks the IP address.
- It has a web application firewall, that identifies and blocks the malware traffic.
- It continuously monitors your site and intimates you if any changes are found.
- This plugin takes care of your content security by scanning posts, file contents, and any comment that is from the spam URL etc.
- There is an excellent comment spam filter in the free version.
- The malware scanner in this plugins helps to scan the WordPress core files, plugins, and themes in order to find any bots, bad URLs, malware, backdoor, code injection, etc.
Bulletproof security as the name implies, this plugin protects your website as a bulletproof jacket. Just with a single click, you will be able to protect your website. This plugin is extremely easy to use and it is a well-suited plugin for beginners.
It has the ability to protect your website against, SQL injections, malicious code, Remote File Inclusion (RFI), Cross-site Scripting (XSS), CRLF injection etc. Bulletproof security mainly focuses on three areas, such as firewall, login, and database security. Beginners can use basic settings, and for advanced users, there is a manual mode to tune for expert settings.
Compared to other security plugins, this plugin has some advanced features like JTC (Anti-Spam & Anti-Hacker), AutoRestore Intrusion Detection & Prevention System (ARQ IDPS), encrypting solutions, scheduled cron jobs, folder locking cURL, and much more.
Some features, such as, anti-spam, email alert, auto restore etc.
This plugin comes with both free and premium. You can go for it as per your requirement. This plugin comes with a 30 days money back guarantee.
- This plugin has the ability to lock individual folders.
- The free version is packed with many features including database backups which is not possible with other plugins.
- The firewall that helps to protect your website from miscellaneous code and brute force attack.
- There is a possibility to take a partial or full backup of your data.
- You will be able to monitor the real-time traffic and hacking attempts.
Sucuri is a free and premium plugin widely used among all the WordPress users. A unique feature of this plugin has Security Activity Audit Logging and it complements your existing security.
This feature actually helps you to keep all the log of activities on your website to keep them safe. It includes other features such as remote malware scanning, security notifications, file integrity monitoring, blacklist monitoring and many more.
With the help of this plugin, you can protect your website from malware, HTA hacks, Cross-site Scripting (XSS), SQL injections, and much more. This plugin helps you to keep track of your website, last login, failed login attempts etc.
Once this plugin is activated, all your website traffic goes through their cloud proxy server, each and every request is scanned to filter out malicious requests.
- This plugin has a continuous website tracking and helps you to detect the malware.
- Sucuri has a security activity auditing Logging.
- It includes other features such as remote malware scanning, security notifications
- It gives an alert if any malicious code is injected.
- It has a file integrity and blacklists integrity option.
- This plugin even protects your server level infections.
- It monitors your website every 4 hours and ensures you that your website is free from vulnerabilities.
- It even identifies any post hack section actions taken place on your website.
We at dkspeaks, have tried most of the above plugins. They are all extremely good tools to protect your WordPress websites from hackers and each has their own strengths.
We switched to another firewall and web security service recently (about 4 months) to be precise because it had a few services that we were particularly looking for. This service is Webarx.
Webarx is a Complete Website Security And Monitoring Dashboard.
Here are just some of the features of Webarx –
- Managed Website Security – Website security firewall (WAF) is always up to date with the latest attack information and is protecting your sites.
- Security Monitoring & Alerts – When any of the websites has known weak-points or when suspicious behavior is detected, you (or your team) will receive an alert to eliminate risks in time.
- WebARX Threat Intelligence – Webarx analyses over 3000 website hacking incidents per day and provides this to national CERTs and use the data to teach the WebARX firewall. If any of your websites are showing up in hacker communities, you are promptly informed about it.
We recommend Webarx for the kind of support and service that they provide. You can order Webarx here.
Protecting your website is the first step you need to take. To protect your website without security plugins is really a difficult task and you need to face many security challenges.
In order to avoid challenges and save your time, you can use the best WordPress security plugins that play a wonderful role in protecting your website. The above-listed plugins are really worth using it for your website, but it is not necessary that you have to use all these plugins. You can try out these plugins and you can stick to a plugin which suits your need.
Each and every plugin comes with unique features and functionalities.
Hope you got an idea about the best WordPress security plugins for your website. If you have any queries please feel free to comment us.
Prabhu Ganesan has provided his Web development and SEO services independently. He is Co-founder of Webicle Media and WPBlogX. He is very much involved in WordPress as it becomes a second nature for him. Find him on twitter @gprabhucbe